Re: Docs reorganization

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Docs reorganization
Date: 2000-10-04 20:05:42
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Right. I agreed to evaluate the results, but stopped short of agreeing
> that this will be the One True Way.

Okay, maybe I misinterpreted it. I apologize.

Anyway, let's look ahead... Seemingly the intergrated document is
somewhat redundant now, as it just combines the individual docs with a
spartanic title page. I would suggest that we instead create a nice,
representative HTML title page by hand (with elephant pic, etc.) and don't
build the integrated document separately any more. That saves disk
space/bandwidth, and confusion because of the different chapter numbering
etc. We could also put the identical title page on the website; that
would increase the overall appearance of consistency in the docs.

Also, we might want to split out the developer's guide (as opposed to
programmer's guide). The current integrated build already does that, and
it should probably happen in general, since the addressed audiences are
distinct. I think we discussed this several times already, but we never
actually laid down a decisive word.