Re: Docs reorganization

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Docs reorganization
Date: 2000-10-05 14:02:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

> Anyway, let's look ahead... Seemingly the intergrated document is
> somewhat redundant now, as it just combines the individual docs with a
> spartanic title page. I would suggest that we instead create a nice,
> representative HTML title page by hand (with elephant pic, etc.) and don't
> build the integrated document separately any more. That saves disk
> space/bandwidth, and confusion because of the different chapter numbering
> etc. We could also put the identical title page on the website; that
> would increase the overall appearance of consistency in the docs.

Sounds good. I would like to try the same kind of title page for the
hardcopy docs, so perhaps we can do this within the sgml (but hand-built
html for the html docs is fine too).

> Also, we might want to split out the developer's guide (as opposed to
> programmer's guide). The current integrated build already does that, and
> it should probably happen in general, since the addressed audiences are
> distinct. I think we discussed this several times already, but we never
> actually laid down a decisive word.

That would be fine. I put them together originally only because each was
fairly small. But both have grown at least a little and you are right,
they are for distinct audiences.

- Thomas