Re: /contrib/soundex doesn't work. Version 7.0.2

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: edmarw(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: /contrib/soundex doesn't work. Version 7.0.2
Date: 2000-09-29 14:51:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:

> The code in /contrib/soundex doesn't work. It does compile though. I
> create the function in the database, but it always returns nothing
> (blank)!

Hmm, while I can confirm that the soundex algorithm is implemented
incorrectly I never get blanks only. Check that you have defined the
function like this:

CREATE FUNCTION soundex(text) RETURNS text AS
'/some/where/soundex.so', 'text_soundex' LANGUAGE 'C';

(ignore the stuff in soundex.sql, it's broken).

To get a correct implementation of soundex, apply the attached patch.
You need to restart the server to get it to load the new object file.

Also note that there is a disagreement among experts over one particular
part of the algorithm. Check it out with your favourite search engine.

Attachment Content-Type Size
soundex-patch text/plain 1006 bytes