Re: psql wraps lines at 256 characters

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: xxiii(at)cyberdude(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql wraps lines at 256 characters
Date: 2000-09-28 09:03:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> the v7.0 psql wraps output lines at 256 characters. The 6.5 version did not. I sometimes create huge xterms so I can get the output of a select all on one line per row,and keep the display nicely formatted, but now I just get a big void of emptyness on the right 3rd of my xterm, because psql is wrapping the output anyway.

(Note the irony with wrapping here...)

Of course output is normally wrapped at the end of the terminal. The
decision about that is in the terminal driver's configuration, not psql.
It might be that your pager (more/less) got in the way.

If I write the output to a text file I can create lines much longer than
256 characters, which seems to support that claim of blame.