RE: Error in servlet

From: Andreas Tille <tillea(at)rki(dot)de>
To: chris markiewicz <cmarkiew(at)commnav(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Error in servlet
Date: 2000-09-15 08:29:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, chris markiewicz wrote:

> could this be a servlet/thread issue? i cannot tell from the code snippet,
Solved. I really stupidly forgot an rs.next() :-(((.

> but remember that variables in a servlet with class scope are essentially
> static. (i am guessing that query, rs, stmt, etc are all class scope. this
> is very dangerous, in the programming sense of the word...) i've had
> similar (but not the same) problems before. as a general rule, i NEVER put
> a class scope variable in a servlet unless i really mean to.
Well, that might be true for query and rs and I'll change that, but
in my opinion

public class ServletSQLClass
{
private Connection con;
private Statement stmt;

con = DriverManager.getConnection(url,user,passwd);
stmt = con.createStatement();
}

con and stmt have to be class scope to hold the connection to the
database and don't have to reopen over and over. Or did I understand
something wrong?

Kind regards

Andreas.