Where to stick function setuid

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Where to stick function setuid
Date: 2000-09-09 17:43:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> > Btw., FunctionCallInvoke() would look to be the most prominent place to
> > hook in the "setuid" feature. For that purpose I'd make the macro an
> > inline function instead.
>
> Ugh. The performance cost would be excessive.

In the path of a "normal" function call is only one extra `if (bool)'
statement. There are certainly more "excessive" performance problems than
that, no?

> Instead, when fmgr is setting up to call a setuid function, have it
> insert an extra level of function handler that does the
> save/setup/restore of current UID.

I don't quite understand. Do you mean like a PL function handler? But then
this thing wouldn't work for external PL's unless we either have a setuid
version of each or have nested handlers.