Argument variables for select

From: Andreas Tille <tillea(at)rki(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Argument variables for select
Date: 2000-08-28 08:06:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I want to use the following construct in a stored function:

Create Function VarSelect ( varchar, varchar )
returns int
As '
Declare num int ;

Begin
Select Into num Count(*) From $1 Where $2 ;
return num;
End ;
' language 'plpgsql' ;

Could someone please explain who to type the exact syntax so that
I can ship the table to select from as $1 and the condition to select
what as $2? Or do I have to concatenate a string with the whole
select statement and how to call this string? In MS SQL server this
could be done with
Exec ( query )

Kind regards

Andreas.