Access PostgreSQL server via SSL/Internet

From: John McKown <jmckown(at)prodigy(dot)net>
Subject: Access PostgreSQL server via SSL/Internet
Date: 2000-08-25 17:56:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is anybody considering this? So that people can write program which access
a database via the Internet. What I'm getting at is that we have
applications which run on our Intranet. They query and update
databases. There is interest in a work at home solution. Since the company
has multiple T1 Internet connections, they are interested in allowing
people to use their home ISP to connect. We are looking at a VPN solution
as well, but they all seem to have a "per seat" or "concurrent
use" restriction. The more users, the higher the cost. Also, some ISPs
have stated that using a VPN over their facility is forbidden and will
result in termination of the service. Another possibility is to simply
use a secure Web server and rewrite the applications as CGI's or something
similiar.

More of a curiousity question at present,
John