Re: Beginner problems with functions

From: Andreas Tille <tillea(at)rki(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginner problems with functions
Date: 2000-08-21 14:33:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> What you may need to do is declare a variable of type record
> and do SELECT INTO <variable> * From ... rather than just
> the SELECT.
Thanks, that worked.

> Yeah, setof <record type> seems fairly wierd. SETOF basetype if
> you do a SELECT <col> FROM table seems to work though.
> I sort of expected that the ones in the regression test would
> either do something understandable or at least error if they
> are testing for brokenness.
Is there any kind of documentation how to cope with that problem?

I try to explain my problem once more:

My servlets contain code like:

rs = stmt.executeQuery("stored_procedure arg1, arg2");
while ( rs.next() )
do_something(rs.getString("col1"), rs.getString("col2"),
rs.getString("col3"), rs.getString("col4") );

I have to decide:

1) Can I use PostgreSQL for such querys?
a) If yes, could someone give any pointer to docs/examles/something else
b) If no, please tel me so. That would let switch to b) or c)
2) Backport the MS SQL server functions into plain SQL text inside
my servlets just to get them working. Not very clever, but should
work, hopefully.
3) Use another database server, could be Interbase but I would prefer
PostgreSQL.

Could somebody please help me to decide which strongle depends from the
SQL procedure problem.

Kind regards

Andreas.