Re: Too many clients - Error

From: John McKown <jmckown(at)prodigy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many clients - Error
Date: 2000-07-26 11:07:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Florian Meyer-Kassel wrote:

> Hi out there.
>
> Since this morning I'm getting this error when I try to connect to our
> DB-Server:
>
> Sorry, too many clients already
>

> What does that mean ? Where can I set this limit ? What's the cause for this
> error ? I didn't have this before...

PostgreSQL as normally distributed only allows 32 concurrent users. You
have exceeded this number of users. You can fix this in one of two ways.
The hard way is to reconfigure & recompile PostgreSQL using the
--with-maxbackends=1024 (maximum number of users is 1024!). The simple way
is to edit the PostgreSQL startup script to include the parameter
"-N 1024" to set the maximum number of concurrent connections to 1024.

I don't see any command to list who is currently using PostgreSQL.

Hope this helps some,
John