Re: 7.0.2 on Solaris

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.0.2 on Solaris
Date: 2000-06-28 18:38:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgsql-hackers(at)thewrittenword(dot)com writes:

> 3. Why is NAN defined in src/include/solaris_i386.h as:

We probably need a real configure test for this.

> 5. added '-' before pl/tcl/Makefile so make does not complain if it
> cannot find pl/tcl/Makefile.tcldefs (which will be automatically
> generated).

Yeah but if the automatic generation fails then it won't include it at
all?

> 7. Honor CXXFLAGS from configure command-line.

It already does that as far as I can tell. Defining the variable in
Makefile.global instead of libpq++/Makefile doesn't make a difference.

> 8. In configure:
> a) It is evil to use a library if it exists:
> (AC_CHECK_LIB(util,main))
> It is far better to check for a function in the library.

Amen to that, but unfortunately most of the information about which
function was required from which library is lost in history. Btw., the
proper solution to this is AC_SEARCH_LIBS, not what you wrote.

In general, if you want to contribute changes in this area it might be a
good idea to start from the current sources, because I'm all over that
code at the moment.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala