Re: About the pid and opts files

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About the pid and opts files
Date: 2000-06-24 12:10:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii writes:

> Yes, the new run-time configuration system should simplify
> SetOptsFile. But before proceeding further, I would like to learn more
> about it. i.e. what kind of application interfaces are provided? Do
> shell scripts such as pg_ctl can use it? Is there any documentation?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.htm

The main difference is that formerly you could assume that if port = 6543
then the user necessarily gave the -p option (which isn't quite true if he
used the environment variable, but anyway). Now the user could have put
port = 6543 in the configuration file (postgresql.conf) and maybe the
reason he restarted the server was because he changed the port number
there. So reusing postmaster.opts blindly would be fatal. The solution is
as I illustrated to only write actual argv arguments to the file.

I have most of the coding done, btw. and it works well.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala