About the pid and opts files

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: About the pid and opts files
Date: 2000-06-23 16:20:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm making consistent accessor functions to all of the special file names
used in the backend (e.g., "pg_hba.conf", "pg_control", etc.) and I got to
the pid file stuff. I'm wondering why you call the SetPidFile and
SetOptsFile functions twice, once in pmdaemonize() and once in the
non-detach case. It seems to me that you would get the same thing if you
just did:

if (silentflag)
pmdaemonize(); /* old version */

SetPidFile(...);
on_proc_exit(UnlinkPidFile, NULL);
SetOptsFile(...);

Is there anything special you wanted to achieve with this?

Furthermore, with the new run-time configuration system there will be a
fairly volatile set of possible options to the postmaster (and perhaps
more importantly, not all options are necessarily from the command line),
so the SetOptsFile function will need some rework. I think instead of
teaching SetOptsFile about each option that the postmaster might accept we
could just do

for (i=1; i<argc; i++)
{
fprintf(opts_file, "'%s' ", argv[i]);
}

The result wouldn't look as pretty as it does now but at least it would
always be correct. Comments?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala