Makefile.global is kind of a pain

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Makefile.global is kind of a pain
Date: 2000-06-21 22:49:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just a notice:

I tried really hard but Makefile.global as we know it can't work together
with a fancy autoconf build system. We already know of the install-sh
relative path problem. The next problem is that the automatic makefile
remaking rules (see bottom of top GNUmakefile.in) can't be put into
Makefile.global, so it really fails to do its job that is "include common
stuff". What's worse, by including another makefile, each makefile would
really have to worry about remaking Makefile.global as well. So as it is
it's doing really little good. There are also several other more technical
problems regarding relative paths and build vs source paths getting out of
order, etc.

So I thought I'd do the next best thing and apply the features that
Autoconf bestowed upon us: output file concatenation. Instead of each
Makefile including Makefile.global, each makefile is pasted together with
a global makefile of sorts when it's created by config.status. That would
look like this in configure.in:

AC_OUTPUT(
src/bin/psql/Makefile:config/top.mk:src/bin/psql/Makefile.in:config/bottom.mk
)

(For various reasons a "top" global and a "bottom" global work best.) This
approach seems to solve all of the mentioned problems.

If you have no idea what I just meant, good. :) I'm currently plowing
through the bin/ subtree, then you'll see. If you did, also good, feel
free to comment.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala