Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: "Randall Parker" <randall(at)nls(dot)net>
To: "Lamar Owen" <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-21 22:52:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar,

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q205/5/24.ASP

IMO, its a bad idea to require the use of symlinks in order to be able to put different tablespaces on different drives. For a discussion on how DB2 supports tablespaces see my message entitled:
"tablespace managed by system vs managed by database"

I think one of the reasons one needs a fairly complex syntax for creating table spaces is that different devices have different hardware characteristics and one might want to tell the RDBMS to treat them differently for that
reason. You can see how DB2 allows you to do that if you read that message I posted about it.