Re: Client Logging

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client Logging
Date: 2000-06-11 11:45:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bryan White writes:

> I sometimes need to be able to identify what client application is
> causing messages that are appering in the backend log file.

I've been thinking about that too a while ago, but it depends on whether
you want to do this for auditing purposes, in which case

> 1) An identification string passed when a connection is established. This
> string would either be immediatly logged or included in the log entry for
> any subsequent messages for that connection.

is not reliable. If you want to have this on a cooperative basis, then

> 3) A function that takes a string argument and calls elog.

is probably reasonable.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala