Re: JDBC squirrely transaction behavior??

From: Joachim Achtzehnter <joachim(at)kraut(dot)bc(dot)ca>
To: postgres-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC squirrely transaction behavior??
Date: 2000-06-06 22:31:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Today, in a message to postgres-interfaces, Steve Wampler wrote:

> My (limited) understanding is that the view would have to be rebuilt
> after every insertion to keep it consistent,

In postgresql a view is in fact a relation just like a table is a
relation, except that the view has an "on select do instead .." trigger
attached to it (don't take the syntax literally, I'm writing this from
memory).

> whereas the temp table would stay empty - it's really just used as a
> place to attach the trigger to an insert without having to worry about
> recursion...

Same effect as using a view, except with a view you would also have a
trigger associated with select so you can select and insert into the same
relation.

Joachim

--
work: joachima(at)realtimeint(dot)com (http://www.realtimeint.com)