Re: config files in /data

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: config files in /data
Date: 2000-06-04 01:46:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen writes:

> /etc/pgsql/$name_1/*
> /var/lib/pgsql/$name_1/data
> /etc/pgsql/$name_2/*
> /var/lib/pgsql/$name_1/data
> etc.

I can see how that would make sense in some standard layout. But you could
easily make symlinks from /etc/ to the respective /var. Yes, that may look
ugly to some, but the alternative might look just as ugly to some others.
I mean users in a manual setup would actually have to go out of their way
to put the configuration files somewhere else during initdb and then pick
them up from there when they start the postmaster. If you want to do that
behind the scenes in a prepackaged deal, okay, but I don't think exposing
the users to these kinds of things will make things easier.

> I haven't looked at your new configuration file as yet, but I am very
> interested.

New initdb runs now install a sample.

> Thoughts?

Well my overall thought is that the FHS and PostgreSQL are not necessarily
a match made in heaven but I understand that you have some implicit
commitments so I won't try to make it harder for you. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala