Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords.
Date: 2000-05-09 20:51:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> > Actually, I have some ideas in the pipe that would indeed change the
> > layout of pg_shadow slightly, so this might have to happen anyway.
>
> How far down the pipe?

It would have to do with the access control work which I had planned to
look at. With the summer and all coming up and the hopefully shorter
release cycle I'm not sure whether I'm going to get to it. The
configuration and build clean-up should happen first anyway.

> It'd be nice if we could fix pg_dumpall to dump CREATE USER commands a
> version before we actually need it ;-).

The problem is that CREATE USER doesn't cover all fields of pg_shadow, in
particular usecatupd. Though perhaps this field is obscure enough to not
bother. Also this will be pretty tricky to get to work for groups. (That
pg_group table really needs a redesign.)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala