Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Kardos, Dr(dot) Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Date: 2000-04-13 02:04:27
Lists: pgsql-ports

Tom Lane writes:

> OK, I think that's a bug in the Makefile: it should be checking
> USE_PERL to decide whether to create a build rule for sql-help.h
> (Peter, do you agree)?

No. USE_PERL depends on configure --with-perl, which is something
completely different. The answer is to use AC_CHECK_PROGS(perl, PERL). The
alternative answer is to use perl unconditionally and say "too bad, if you
are not using the distribution you need Perl". The latter actually looks
cleaner to me now. (After all, the only time the file is rebuilt is when
the docs change (what user does that?) or the very first time. In the
latter case doing nothing is not really the answer either.)

(See also earlier message about another bug.)

Have we reached any consensus on making ONLY_REUSE_INET_SOCKETS the
default (i.e., removing it)? I'm no socket sort of guy but the
documentation clearly states that address reusing is only defined for Inet
sockets. I can run tests tomorrow (i.e. in about 10 hours) to see if it
does any good. Do I have a go?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala