Re: [ADMIN] migrating administrative pieces to new install

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: hal Lynch <hal(at)sticky(dot)usu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] migrating administrative pieces to new install
Date: 2000-01-29 16:58:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2000-01-28, hal Lynch mentioned:

> All databases are read(select) only. my pg_hba.conf looks like this:
> local all password passwd.
>
> pg_dumpall fails. I haven't found a way to supply a username
> and password to the command. The -u flag dosen't work.

That's right. Since every database could (in theory) have a completely
different authentication scheme, it's not much good to provide a -u option
to pg_dumpall.

Since pg_dumpall calls pg_dump, it would be possible to make pg_dump
recognize when a password is needed automatically. On the other hand I'm
more in favour of scrapping pg_dump altogether and rewriting it on of
these days.

> pg_dump works but what databases/tables do I dump to get all my
> username info.

The global tables are pg_shadow, pg_group, and pg_database. If they're not
too big you might be better off transferring them by hand rather than
bothering too much with getting pg_dump[all] to work.

Of course, temporarily disabling the password authentication would work as
well.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala