Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL

From: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-26 02:42:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > My big question is, what new challenges will we face as
> > > we become more popular?
> >
> > Plug-in Oracle 7 compatibility.
>
> I believe we are adding Oracle compatibility as possible. We are
> working on write-ahead log, long tuples, foreign keys, and outer joins.
> Anything else?

How about an SQL*Net listener... this would make
PostgreSQL plug-n-play.

It could even be a proprietary product, thus allowing
VC's to fund it. It's a bit hard to justify changing
ODBC settings on 30+ apps on a few (hundred) thousand PC
workstations; some with hardcoded ODBC "ORA7.DLL" settings...

Why? Oracle is going to be shutting down Oracle 7 support
soon, forcing the upgrade to Oracle 8. This will leave
hundreds (thousands accross the industry?) of applications
stranded, and not alot of money to re-write/re-deploy/re-test
them. Just a thought... at every big company I've been with,
this has been a sore spot. It could also potentially
be a good consulting revenue stream for Marc's group.

Best,

Clark