Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE cell from text file

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Jason C(dot) Wells" <jcwells(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] UPDATE cell from text file
Date: 1999-10-24 02:22:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 24, Jason C. Wells mentioned:

> This has got to be easy but I am having a hard time finding the right
> docs.
>
> What I want to do is analogous to:
>
> UPDATE website SET content='contents of a big ass file that I dont want to
> type on the command line' where filename='index.html';
>
> How can I do this?

In the psql interface this is not easily possible (read: impossible) short
of some sort of copy&paste as of this date. A mechanism which should get
this done (I hope) will appear in the new version, which, coincidentally,
will appear sometime next week, if you want to give it a shot.

Another issue to consider is whether all your data will fit into a row,
which will be false if "big ass" > BLCKSZ (8192 unless you changed it). In
that case you will have to use the large object interface for which there
is no mechanism in psql yet, but -- you guessed it -- there will be one
next week :)

-Peter

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115