psql code to be obducted by alien (me)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql code to be obducted by alien (me)
Date: 1999-09-25 19:45:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As authorized by Tom L. himself and barring any loud protests I will start
a code clean-up on psql sometime within the next few days. So if you are
doing something on it or plan on doing so, please let me know. Among the
things on the agenda are:

* Reduce function size, indentation levels, file sizes

* Make use of latest libpq facilities

* Take care of various TODO items, such as NULL display (perhaps the one
recently submitted by me?), \copy issues, possibly more.

* Allow for implementation of a more sophisticated readline TAB
completion. (Not necessarily the one I recently sent in, if you can come
up with a better one. I'll try to keep it general.)

* Have tables vs. views show up correctly, as explained to me by Jan.

* Various enhancements on HTML display.

* A full bag of other ideas which will probably have to be postponed.

I am also tempted to drop the use of libpq's PQprint so that it can be
phased out, since I suspect hardly anyone else uses it and no one is
really happy with it. One could perhaps put a big #ifdef around that code
then. We'll see what happens. If this development would break your heart,
please yell.

Any other suggestions before I lock myself into my room are welcome.

Peter

--
Peter Eisentraut - peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
http://yi.org/peter-e