Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Uncle George <gatgul(at)voicenet(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-27 19:48:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I just bounced the alpha patch over to you, Thomas. If you like it, it
> > can be applied.
>
> Great. But I'm looking for feedback from Ryan if he has a chance to
> test it.

Sorry, I have been a bit busy over the weekend. I did get to test
it on Friday though. The patch applied flawlessly to that day's snapshot.
Though I quickly hit a minor, but annoying snag. The configure script
detects my XLT 366 Alpha's CPU as 'alphaev5', which means that none of the
alpha conditional clauses in the makefiles get evaluated correctly, and
one ends up with a binary that gets stuck spinlocks (when using -O2 for
CFLAGS).
I couldn't find anyway to tell make to look for alpha only at the
start of the CPU string (i.e. '$CPU =~ /^alpha.*/' in perl syntax), but
there might be one I missed. I simply ran configure, then edited
makefile.global, and changed 'alphaev5' to 'alpha' and complied as usual.
This time it worked great! No stuck spinlocks (and -O2 was used!),
and all the regression tests, saved for rules as Uncle G. has already
mentioned.
So, other than the CPU type detection problem, everything looks
very good. I have given postgres a decent work out, loading large data
sets (8 tables, 88k records), and then accessing via a web interface I am
writing for work, without any problems at all.
If no one minds, I will forward Uncle G.'s patches onto some
Debian-Alpha hackers that contacted me a while back about the status of
pgsql on alphas, and see what reaction they have to them.
TTYL.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |