postgres getting slow

From: Brian <signal(at)shreve(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres getting slow
Date: 1999-05-13 22:54:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I noticed that on our postgres server, when more than say 15-20 backends
are open at once, things start to get real slow. System is:

Redhat 5.2 Linux
2.2.8 kernel
Postgres 6.3.2
PII 450
256MB RAM

Does anyone know why this may be?

Also I can't seem to get postgres to write to a log about what it is
doing, whats the best way to get it to do this, so that any
errors/warnings get logged?

Brian

Brian Feeny (BF304) signal(at)shreve(dot)net
318-222-2638 x 109 http://www.shreve.net/~signal
Network Administrator ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)