Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE

From: Darren Ferguson <darren(at)crystalballinc(dot)com>
To: power2themacs <power2themacs(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE
Date: 2002-03-26 19:29:01
Lists: pgsql-general

In table two you would not create a serial instead you would create an
INTEGER because serial is a counter and the values in table 2 may not be
in table 1.

Use a transaction like as follows

BEGIN;
INSERT INTO TABLE1 VALUES (Whatever values);
var = SELECT CURRVAL('sequence_name');
INSERT INTO TABLE2 VALUES (var,whatever else);
COMMIT;

So you would start the transaction then insert into the first table.
You would then get the current value of the sequence that the first table
created.
You would then insert this value into table2 along with anything else

HTH
Darren Ferguson