Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)tincan(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Poul Laust Christiansen <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GreatBridge RPMs (was: Re: question)
Date: 2001-01-23 20:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> In general, RPMs only work on systems that are the same as the one they
> were built on, for various degrees of "same". If you're not picking up
> the RPMs from your distributor or you're sure that the builder used the
> same version as you have, it's always prudent to rebuild from the source
> RPM. That should work, unless the package spec makes some unportable
> assumptions, such as different file system layouts. But that is often
> only an annoyance, not a real problem.

While trying to get the FrontPage Extensions installed on a RedHat/Apache
system I ran into to different version numbering systems between RedHat
and Mandrake. Major pain. One called for perl 5.6.0-xxx and the other
perl 5.60-xxx. After several hours of screwing around with it I took a
break. Fortunately before I spent any more time on it the client I was
going to do it for decided to not run them with Apache.

I'm glad to see GreatBridge will be providing RPM's for many
distributions. Though I do tend to re-compile from source I've found that
those mdk's don't work too good with RHL.

Rod