Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?

From: Michael J Schout <mschout(at)gkg(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, mike <mike(at)neutrinostudios(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?
Date: 2001-01-12 16:14:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Michael J Schout writes:
>
> > We would definately beta test 7.1 beta releases on our test machines if RPMS
> > were made available. However, if rpms are not made available, its unlikely
> > that anyone around here will get time to build the sources from scratch.
>
> Building from source takes five minutes. Reading the installation
> instructions takes maybe ten minutes. Don't tell me you don't have that
> amount of time but you still want to beta test. *shrug*

Yes, building the sources isn't that difficult, but it definately takes longer
than:

rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.postgresql/pub/whatever/postgresql-\*.rpm

My feeling is that if we can make it as easy as possible for beta testers to
get the beta releases up and running, the more likely they are to use the beta
releases.

Mike