Re: logs

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)tincan(dot)org>
To: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logs
Date: 2000-12-20 12:11:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Martin A. Marques wrote:

> I have a linux instalation (from rpm) of postgres-7.0.3, which puts the logs
> of the server (AFAIK) in /var/log/postgresql.
> But the file is empty, and I start making activity on the database and it
> stays empty. Does anyone have an idea of what is happening?

Two possiblities. 1) is the file writeable by the postgres user and 2) do
you have logrotate running. Postmaster keeps a tight tie to the log file
it is started with so even if the file is changed/moved by logrotate the
logging continues to the original file. I've resorted to using a

postrotate
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres restart
endscript

in my logrotate scripts. Mostly because the server(s) are not under any
kind of load at night and I haven't taken the time to figure out the
'correct' way to re-initialze the postmaster process.

Rod