PostgreSQL pre-7.1 Linux/Alpha Status...

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL pre-7.1 Linux/Alpha Status...
Date: 2000-12-20 04:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

I have had the time to test today's (12/19) snapshot on my
Linux/Alpha and the good news is that only two regression tests are
failing. The bad news is that these regression tests do not fail on
Linux/Intel. :( [1]
Specifically, the oid and misc regression tests failed. Here are
the gory details:

oid: Inserting a negative oid should wrap that oid around to an unsigned
value, but instead pgsql just spits it back out with an error
message. i.e.:

CREATE TABLE OID_TBL(f1 oid);
INSERT INTO OID_TBL(f1) VALUES ('-1040');
ERROR: oidin: error reading "-1040": value too large

Probably not a major problem (who inserts negative oids?), but I
could be wrong. Hopefully it has an easy fix.

misc: This one is nasty... Any attempts to use the '*' operator in the
context of inheritance causes pgsql to lose its mind and wander off
into the weeds never to be seen again. Example from 'misc' tests:

SELECT p.name, p.hobbies.name FROM person* p;
before or while processing the request.
connection to server was lost

Definitely needs to be fixed, but I have a feeling it will not be
easy.

Other than those two issues, everything seems to run great. I would go
digging into the source to find the source of these problems, but I
thought I would throw it out to the list first. [2]
Therefore, if anyone has any ideas as to what is failing, how to
fix it, or at least a general direction to head in (i.e. look in these
source files...), please speak up. If you want more information on the
above problems, feel free to ask. Just tell me what you want, and if it is
not obvious, how to get it.
Looking forward to a new version pgsql that compiles out of the
box on Linux/Alpha! TTYL.

[1] For those who missed my poor attempt at a joke... I mean that the
Linux/Alpha regression failures are specific to that platform, and
therefore my problem to solve, not a more general problem I could leave to
the pg-hackers to solve....

[2] That, and I am definitely not familiar with the pgsql source, so it
would probably take me a while to make any headway if I just started
digging with out any direction...

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |