Re: AW: The lightbulb just went on...

From: Michael J Schout <mschout(at)gkg(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: The lightbulb just went on...
Date: 2000-10-23 04:46:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> >> SELECT session_data, id
> >> FROM sessions
> >> WHERE id = ?
> >> FOR UPDATE
> >>
> >> I think part of my problem might be that sessions is a view
> >> and not a table,
>
> > Did you create an on update do instead rule ?

Yes actually :).

But Ive since elimintated the rule and figured out I could get
the equivalent functionality I was getting the the RULE/VIEW by just
using a simple PL/pgSQL trigger.

Since doing that, the "relation XXXXX modified while in use" errors
have gone away, but I'm still not sure I trust VACUUM ANALYZE enough
to run it on a non-idle production database :). I want to do more
testing before I get that brave :).

Mike