Re: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Kevin Leclaire <kevin(at)virtualnav(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Importing Data into Postgresql from MS Access
Date: 2000-10-12 21:11:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Kevin Leclaire wrote:

> Does anyone know of a utility which can easily convert MS Access tables into
> Postgres?

pgAdmin has an Access migration utility. It works through the Pg ODBC
driver. See http://www.pgadmin.freeserve.co.uk/

> Alternatively, I can export to any format that MSAccess supports (e.g.
> comma-delimited text), but would like to know if there are any import
> utilities which will simplify the import process into postgres so I don't
> have to write a script for 100 fields X thousands of records.

If you export into some kind of delimited format, you can easily use the
COPY or /copy commands with psql.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
The full potentialities of human fury cannot be reached until a friend
of both parties tactfully interferes.
-- G.K. Chesterton