RE: Using BLOBs with PostgreSQL

From: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Franck Martin <Franck(at)sopac(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Using BLOBs with PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-10-10 12:15:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Would it be difficult to store all the Binary data in a seperate
database ( a special database ) that would contain one binary object per
row with the obious information?

My 2 cents. :-)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Franck Martin wrote:

> PG definitively lack BLOB support and it is a big drawback...
>
> Even with PG7.1 with TOAST that will remove the 8kB limit on records, there
> will be still no BLOB support.
>
> As you have indicated it seems that PG chokes on null characters. What is
> needed is a varbinary type, which stores binary data unformated, and spits
> out the binary data inside a PQResult. Some additional funtions are needed
> to read and write chunk of data inside that varbinary type.
>
> Any volunteer amongst the hackers ?
>
> I may try to do it as a used defined type inside a shared library, but I
> think PG as is may not handle it correctly...
>
> Cheers
> Franck(at)sopac(dot)org

Saludos... :-)

"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués email: martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar
Santa Fe - Argentina http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar