Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?

From: Ralf Tschiersch <ralf(at)net-service(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?
Date: 2000-10-01 18:14:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi -

I've tried this already, with no success. More details:

the "postgres"-database shows:

postgres=> \d
Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!

postgres=> select * from pg_database;
datname |datdba|encoding|datpath
----------+------+--------+----------
template1 | 26| 0|template1
(1 row)

Whew - where are the databases?
Connecting a (former) existing database shows:

dbx1=> \d
Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!
dbx1=> select * from gp;
kid|typ|var|data
---+---+---+----
(0 rows)

But the File is there!

-rw------- 1 postgres daemon 16384 Sep 30 03:46 data/base/dbx1/gp

It's horrible. I know that I had to do a backup, but things change fast!
Its seems that Postgres did a "reset" and does not know that there is
pretty much it could deliver. Setting up a fres installation with the
exact table and properties ist okay, but copying the
data/base/dbname-Files into this new place does not the trick.

Thanks for your care...

Ralf