Re: SQL*Loader?

From: <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Tony Simopoulos <karkalis(at)earthling(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL*Loader?
Date: 2000-09-30 05:26:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Tony Simopoulos wrote:

> i need to load data from text files into the database.
>
> the psql "copy" command is too simplistic for what i need.
>
> does anybody know of any software that is almost as feature rich as
> Oracle's SQL*Loader, but works for any database (i.e. through ODBC)?

You might want to try pgAdmin -- it's a Windows app that connects to
Postgres via ODBC, and gives you a bit more flexibility on your import
file format (although I will admit the free formatting that SQL*Loader
lets you define is pretty slick).

Another option is to code your own with Perl & DBI. It wouldn't be too
difficult to define a control file format to define a parser to read your
text data files. It'd be a natural job for Perl from there!

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net
War is an equal opportunity destroyer.