Re: Regular expression query

From: Oliver Seidel <os10000(at)in-medias-res(dot)com>
To: Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regular expression query
Date: 2000-08-25 06:43:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

> The regexp package we currently use implements POSIX 1003.2 regexps
> (see src/backend/regex/re_format.7). I believe there is an item on the
> TODO list about upgrading the regexp parser to something more modern
> ... feel free to hop on that project if it's bugging you ...

I would like to recommend

ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/

which stands for "PERL compatible regular expressions" and has an
expression analyzer & compiler for more efficient repeated matching.
Since Philip Hazel has only written this package to support his Mail
Transfer Agent (exim), it is optimised for performance.

I hope I have been of help,

Oliver Seidel