Re: Performance for seq. scans

From: bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net
To: Jules Bean <jules(at)jellybean(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Steve Heaven <steve(at)thornet(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance for seq. scans
Date: 2000-07-26 16:59:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jules Bean wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, that's word-based? It's just splitting
> on whitespace and punctuation? Unfortunately, that's not quite what
> we need --- our wildcard searches needn't have their '%' on word
> boundaries.

You can have it search on less than word boundaries. It uses a regexp in
the query statement, and actually will match against sub-strings. Check
the documentation. It talks about how this works.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.