Re: Triggers with arguments

From: Richard Harvey Chapman <hchapman(at)3gfp(dot)com>
To: PG-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Scott Holmes <sholmes(at)pacificnet(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Triggers with arguments
Date: 2000-07-12 23:30:24
Lists: pgsql-general

If I understand correctly, you have something like this:

CREATE TABLE rec_* (
num integer primary key;
other ...
);

CREATE TABLE notes (
name CHAR(20),
num INTEGER,
note VARCHAR(200),
PRIMARY KEY(name, num)
);

So, you have many different tables like rec_*, and one notes table that
can refer to them all.

Perhaps then, you want something like this:

CREATE TABLE notes (
name CHAR(20),
num INTEGER REFERENCES rec_*
ON UPDATE CASCADE
ON DELETE CASCADE,
note VARCHAR(200),
PRIMARY KEY(name, num)
);

'cept I just realized that a column can't reference multiple tables (can
it?). Anyway, I found the above idea in Bruce's book in Chapter 14,
"Modification of Primary Key Row."

If I'm reading it correctly, deleting the record from rec_*, should cause
the corresponding record in notes to be deleted as well.

perhaps this'll help,

R.