Linux/Alpha and Postgres 7.0 Beta Status

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linux/Alpha and Postgres 7.0 Beta Status
Date: 2000-04-05 00:32:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

I finally managed to catch up with the 7.0 betas (provided beta5
does not come out in the next few hours :). My web site has been updated
with the Linux/Alpha patches for 7.0beta4 (see the software section), and
for history's sake, I have also listed the Linux/Alpha patches for all
version of PostgreSQL that the patches have existed for.
With these patches applied to the 7.0beta4 tarball, all regression
tests pass (save for geometry with the harmless off by one in the nth
decimal place error). I have also tested it against a few of my own apps
and while there were a few quirks in conversion (i.e. int() -> int4()),
nothing major was encountered. I would encourage anyone running pgsql on
Linux/Alpha to pound on these patches and make sure it works for them as
soon as possible. Email me any Linux/Alpha specific problems found.
I also have to say that 7.0 is much faster than 6.5.3. It used to
take 10 to 15 minutes to load 125k rows into pgsql, now it takes only 5
minutes for the same data on the same machine! Good work!
When the final version of 7.0 comes out, I will double check the
patch still work (and make modifications as necessary), update my web
page, and post a short message here. Beyond that, I have very little time
to work on pgsql until mid May as I have a few projects that need to be
finished ASAP before I can graduate. :) Once I have graduated, I plan to
put some time in on getting the Linux/Alpha patches cleaned up and
intergrated into the main source tree, hopefully in time for 7.1.
I will post the 7.0beta4 Linux/Alpha patch to the patches list
shortly. That is all. TTYL.

PS. Maybe a note should be put on the pgsql ports page that
patches are needed for Linux/Alpha an a ref to my web page.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |