Concurrency problem

From: Taral <taral(at)taral(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Concurrency problem
Date: 2000-02-04 11:33:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a small problem, and was wondering if there was a better fix than
the one I have.

Here goes: I have tables A and B, both with primary keys. A has a field
which refers to rows of B, and vice versa. When these fields are modified,
I want to ensure referential integrity, but without using triggers. Is it
possible to avoid deadlock and preserve integrity in all situations
without serializing the updates?

Details: Without any locking, an update of A concurrent with a delete on B
will cause an integrity breach. With locking, concurrent updates of A and
B can cause a deadlock...

Taral