Trigger or Rule?

From: Andy Lewis <alewis(at)themecca(dot)net>
Subject: Trigger or Rule?
Date: 1999-04-26 12:59:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table that among other things has a name, address, city, state
fields. When I insert into, I want to be able to make sure that there is
no duplicate records or that a row is inserted that is already in the DB.

Question number one is: Should I use a trigger or a rule?

And request number two is perhaps a sample that could get me started.

I've read thru the Documentation and Man pages and tried creating a rule
but, had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Andy