Re: RE: version numbers of WinODBC

From: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'Joel Burton'" <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>, Pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RE: version numbers of WinODBC
Date: 2000-12-20 21:15:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Is it possible to autogenerate the version numbers from PostgreSQL source
> > configuration? I think the reason why the WinODBC driver has a separate
> > version number is that it can be compiled directly using the
> > src/interfaces/odbc/ directory only, so if someone wants to compile the
> > DLL only, he/she can do it. By the way, if we support this (we must, of
> > course), autogenerating version numbers doesn't seem to make sense, it
> > must be set "by hand".
>
> Since the cvs repository is now the "truth copy" of the code, the
> standalone tarballs could be generated by a build process in
> src/interfaces/odbc which explicitly finds and copies the current pgsql
> version info. Once the tarball is built, then the version info travels
> with the tarball. I'm not sure what the state of the standalone build is
> at the moment; it used to work but I vaguely recall some discussion that
> it was evil...
Hmm, last time I compiled the DLL was in May. That time the source could
be reached both at Byron's site and at Postgres' mirrors as well (the same
(?) source). But Byron's source was <= 200k and the smallest Postgres
tarball is >= 2000k. I think the standalone build should work at the
moment because the Windows compilers only needed the src/interfaces/odbc
directory, no more (at least in May this was the state). So I suggest
autogenerating an odbc tarball beside the other ones.

On the other hand, the stuff in ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/ is
rather obsolete. At least some warnings should be put into it about this
fact.

Zoltan