signals in ODBC?

From: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: signals in ODBC?
Date: 2000-10-25 12:18:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

My goal is for a connection to receive signals from other connections.
E.g., I would get the information about changing a row of a table by
an other connection. This would be great having the information at once.
An ugly and slow solution is to send queries to the server e.g. twice
a minute or so---but is there a better way?

Browsing the documentation I found NOTIFY and LISTEN. Can I use them
within an ODBC connection? Is it possible to catch a NOTIFY signal this way?

As I realized, the NOTIFY statement doesn't have a second parameter,
i.e. I cannot give any other signal to an other connection than
"Yes" or "No". What about future plans?

Regards, Zoltan