Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?

From: Thomas Good <tomg(at)admin(dot)nrnet(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?
Date: 2000-07-05 13:00:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Personally, from all the 'legal' issues that FreeBSD has gone through over
> the years, especially recently with the BSDi/FreeBSD merger and the whole
> cryptology merger, I would think they would have been the first to
> adopt/change their BSD license to something else, and I've never even seen
> discussions on it ...

The only thing that comes close are the periodic discussions (ignored by
FBSD developers) about the removal of the 'offensive' mascot. ;-)

Top Ten Gratuitous Discussions:

1. FreeBSD v. Linux
2. GPL v. BSD licence
3. Removal of 'Chuckie' (Berkeley Daemon) from BSD
in favour of something less 'Satanic' or 'Demonic'
4. (Official) renaming of 'Chuckie' so as not offend McKusick
over the popular (mis)perception that the Berkeley Daemon
is (nick)named 'Chuckie'
5. MySQL v. Postgres
6. RedHat v. Debian v. SuSe
7. Why was Slackware not involved in the above discussion
8. Perl v. Python
9. Coke v. Pepsi

lastly:

10. Altering the PG licence...I agree with *my perception* of Scrappy's
position: If FBSD get nervous and changes their licence, Pg should
follow suit. Otherwise it seems counterproductive.

Anyway, thanks for the great code. I promise not to abuse it.
I promise not to sue anyone if I am too damn stupid to use it properly.

SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA Phone: 718-354-5528
Fax: 718-354-5056