Re: ODBC driver for Windows - Problems

From: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: Viktor de Souza Spínola <viktor(at)viktor(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu
Subject: Re: ODBC driver for Windows - Problems
Date: 2000-05-31 10:11:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 30 May 2000, [iso-8859-1] Viktor de Souza Spnola wrote:

> I'm using the PostODBC driver I've found in postgresql.org FTP site, it
> claims to support protocols 6.3, 6.4 and 6.5, and says nothing aboutm 7.0.
> Do you use the same driver I have?
As far as I know, 7.0 uses the same protocol as the 6.5. Most things
should work automatically with 7.0. But... when first beta was released,
the SPI way of the referential integrity (see contrib/spi/refint* for
details) didn't work anymore. It might be corrected since then, but we
found out that the new way of the referential integrity checks (i.e.
FOREIGN KEY and REFERENCES) should be better for future use so we decided
to rewrite all the SQL database code at the server side. It was
successful, but the current driver (which can be found on e.g.
postgresql.org) couldn't report some type of errors, e.g. referential
integrity violations. As far as I know, duplicate unique key violations
were also not reported correctly. Now I have a new version, but we are not
sure, that it will work with all application (e.g. Applixware for Unix or
other Windows database software, e.g. MS Access). Currently the new code
should be checked until it will be forwarded to the CVS tree.

No other drawbacks are known for us yet, but we decided to use both
Borland C++ Builder and PostgreSQL, so we MUST support client and server
side improvements for a longer time...

Regards, Zoltan