Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on Win95

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: pat(at)patoche(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on Win95
Date: 1999-03-14 22:18:58
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 pat(at)patoche(dot)org wrote:

> i've just download pgaccess 0.96
> it seems to be able to run on Windows and i'm very interested to use it that
> way.
>
> So i've installed Tcl/tk on Win95 I launch pgaccess, everything seems ok
> but as soon as i connect to a database i have (translated from french) :
> error postgresql : the fore-ground engine use an invalid protocol.
>
> i've not installed dcom or odbc on the computer. should i ?

Yes, you need to have postgresql available either locally or via a
network. I don't know if it can access via ODBC, however, as it needs to
know about the ODBC interface and I don't think pgAccess does. You might
be better off using pgAdmin under Windows (which does use the ODBC
interface) and use pgAccess under whatever Unix-ish environment you use.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into
the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
-- Woody Allen