Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - User Authentication Failed

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - User Authentication Failed
Date: 1998-12-28 23:42:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Matthew wrote:

> Hello, I think I am doing something stupid here so hopefully there is a
> simple answer.
>
> I just installed RedHat5.2 on a new PC. It works fine. I installed all
> the PosgreSQL packages. I performed a createuser so that my account can
> access psql. That worked, I was able to create a new database 'foo' and
> connect to it with psql. I tried from pgaccess and it failed asking if
> the -i option was used. I fixed that, and now I can connect to my
> database from pgaccess. I then went to Windows PC, and tried to connect
> using ODBC and the postdrv 6.4.001. It fails with an error of 'User
> Authentication Failed' and that's it. I have tried granting permissions
> and such but nothing seems to make it work. Is there something that I'm
> missing in the setup, or some reason my Windows PC can't connect?

You'll need to enter either the Windows PC's TCP/IP address (or a subnet
containing that PC) into the pg_hba.conf file located in the PG_DATA
directory. I think RedHat put's that in the /var/lib/pgsql directory (from
memory, a RH5.2 box at work has it there).

Something like:

host all 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 password

should do the trick.

--
Peter T Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk