Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)
Date: 1998-11-30 16:15:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> At 17:33 +0200 on 30/11/98, Peter T Mount wrote:
>

> > I do on my web site, covering different versions of postgresql. However,
> > someone tried a 1.1 binary on a 1.2 JVM, and it complained. It's more
> > strict on the class validation.
>
> What I meant was - why not offer the complete bundeled jar (both 1.1 and
> 1.2, as you suggested) in binary form, and avoid the problem of having to
> compile it under two javacs in the target computer. This will force us to
> have the two JVMs even if we use onle one... So, do the compilation on your
> own set, and distribute the combined Jar. The Jar format itself shouldn't
> pose a problem.
>
> Why can you distribute the binaries only from your web site? Any reason you
> can't put them in the CVS? Say, in text-encoded format, with the makefile
> merely doing the decoding?

There's no reason for them not going into CVS. We had this discussion
before about putting the binary in, but decided not to - can't remember
why though.

I put them up on my site because I was getting asked a lot for the
binaries, and I had a small archive of earlier versions, so I put them up.

If everyone feels that a binary should be in CVS, I can build one every
time I post patches.

Marc, what affects would this have to CVS having a binary in the
repository, and how would it affect updating it later on. Would this cause
more grief than is reasonable?

> I also wonder how come it's impossible to compile 1.1 code under 1.2...
> That doesn't make sense, as far as Sun's policy went so far. Perhaps there
> is a 1.1 compatibility flag for the 1.2 javac?

It's not the JVM, but in 1.2, the java.sql package has been expanded, and
most of the interfaces we implement in the driver have themselves been
expanded, so when you compile the current sources under 1.2, it complains
because methods have not been implemented.

--
Peter Mount, IT Section
petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk