joins and stuff

From: Walt Bigelow <walt(at)stimpy(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: joins and stuff
Date: 1998-12-02 04:38:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello all:

I am having an issue related to returning of records within a join. Here
is the join that I am doing:

SELECT
projecttitle,
wonumber,
date,
tbladdressdirectory.company as fclient,
tbladdressdirectory_1.company as agency,
tbladdressdirectory_2.company as agencyclient,
tblcontacts.contactname as contact
FROM
tblproject,
tbladdressdirectory,
tbladdressdirectory as tbladdressdirectory_1,
tbladdressdirectory as tbladdressdirectory_2,
tblcontacts
WHERE
tblproject.fclient = tbladdressdirectory.agencyid AND
tblproject.agencyid = tbladdressdirectory_1.agencyid AND
tblproject.aclientid = tbladdressdirectory_2.agencyid AND
tblproject.fclientcontactid = tblcontacts.contactid AND
projectid = 77;

I came upon a record with an invalid contactid in tblprojects (an id that
is not in the tblcontacts table) and the resultant output is (0 rows).

My question is how can I have the server return a row weather or not a
join completed successfully? i.e. Have it return a NULL or something when
it cannot match the 2 tables, instead of failing completely.

It was mostly my stupid mistake that caused the above to occour -- the
front end (msAccess yuck) that I wrote failed to update or check to see
if the contact I was deleting is actually in use or not. But on another
table I would like the option of having a field in the main table NULL and
still have the select return everything else.

Thanks for any help,
Walt